Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

USA

All I wanted to do today was find an American flag. I am proud to be an American, and I pray for all of the families out there who have been forced to think about the loved ones they lost once again today. Admittedly I've questioned America recently, with the intense direction its taken and the often naive nature of the people here. I've wondered whether I'd be better off somewhere else, where the goal of life isn't to beat the competition and people take more time to socialize and to reflect with each other; where parenting is more respected and you don't have to fight for your 12 weeks of maternity leave. I feel like we've come a long way in so many things and we are the most productive country in the world, at the great expense of own sanity and health. I feel like we're in danger of reaching a point of burning out, like people do during an intense career.
But when something like today happens and I'm reminded of 9/11, it makes me want to be a better American and to do what I can to help this country survive and thrive in a healthy way, to avoid country burnout. We have some work to do to calm down a little and make this country a better and hopefully less intense place for our children, but I think it's so worth it. For all of the issues, America truly is the land of opportunity and the best place on earth to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...