Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Top 50 Book List

A few years ago I put together a list of my all-time favorite books that I had read. These are the books I've read that were so good or that I connected with so much that when I think of them it takes me back to the time in my life when I read them. They had meaning to me, they opened my eyes to different things, I had "aha" moments with them. I traveled in my mind to places I may never go physically, things clicked about the way the world works when I read them. They're not all classics, but I connected in some way to all of them. I shared the list a couple of years ago with my co-workers, who then put together their own lists and shared them with the team. I'm always trying to find great new books, and I got some great ideas from those lists.

There's a few books on my "want to read" list, including "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford, "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, and "Faith" by Jennifer Haigh. I usually buy my books either on Amazon.com for newer books, or Half.com for books that have been out for a few years.  I also subscribe to Goodreads.com, a site that sends new releases each month and reviews from readers. So here it is, my updated Top Book 50 List of 2011. Please feel free to share your ideas for books that should be on this list!!

1.      Atlas Shrugged – Ayn Rand
2.      Pillars of the Earth – Ken Follet
3.      A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
4.      Bonfire of the Vanities – Tom Wolf
5.      Harvard Yard – William Martin
6.      Sophie’s Choice – William Styron
7.      Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay – Michael Chabon
8.      East of Eden – John Steinbeck
9.      Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
10.  The Inferno – Dante
11.  1984 – George Orwell
12.  Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
13.  Sarah’s Key – Tatiana de Rosnay
14.  The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
15.  The Giver – Lois Lowry
16.  There Are No Children Here – Alex Kotlowitz
17.  Tuesdays With Maurie – Mitch Albon
18.  Glass Castle – Jeannette Walls
19.  The Help – Kathryn Stockett
20.  Half Broke Horses – Jeannette Walls
21.  The DaVinci Code – Dan Brown
22.  The Other Boleyn Girl – Phillippa Gregory
23.  Their Eyes Were Watching God – Nora Neale Hurston
24.  Devil in the White City – Erik Larson
25.  Brave New World – Aldus Huxley
26.  Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
27.  I Know This Much is True – Wally Lamb
28.  Life of Pi – Yann Martel
29.  Girl with a Pearl Earring – Tracy Chevalier
30.  Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
31.  Back Bay – William Martin
32.  Angela’s Ashes – Frank McCourt
33.  West With the Night – Beryl Markham
34.  Notes From a Small Island – Bill Bryson
35.  Hoop Dreams – Ben Joravsky
36.  Boss – Mike Royko
37.  Lake Effect – Rich Cohen
38.  Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
39.  Sacred Hoops – Phil Jackson
40.  Memory Keepers Daughter – Kim Edwards
41.  Midwives – Chris Bohjalian
42.  The Queen’s Fool – Phillippa Gregory
43.  She’s Come Undone – Wally Lamb
44.  The Girl With The Dragon Tatto – Steig Larsson
45.  The Secret Life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd
46.  Nanny Diaries – Emma McLaughlin
47.  Confessions of a Shopaholic – Sophie Kinsella
48.  A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseini
49.  Pigs in Heaven and The Bean Trees – Barbara Kingsolver
50.  A Girl Named Zippy – Haven Kimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...