Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Sketchbook Challenge

Have you ever seen the Sketchbook Challenge website? Check it out - they do different themes each month to inspire people to work in their sketchbooks. You can upload photos of your theme-related sketches directly to the blog, or upload the photos to your own blog and then post links to them on the Sketchbook website. They select a winner each month, and the prizes are usually great art supplies. Check out the FAQ for more info.

The website inspired me to start my own sketchbook challenge. It's sort of an early New Year's resolution, but the challenge is to try to draw in my sketchbook at least once a day. It's been a really long time since I've done artwork on a regular basis. It's hard to do - with so much time and energy required to chase a toddler and work, I never have the time or energy after she goes to bed to get out all the supplies needed for painting or collaging, or anything that requires much setup or cleanup. I get overwhelmed by the thought of all I have to do and then I end up just doing nothing. 

The sketchbook challenge reminded me that I don't really need a lot of stuff to continue to do art on a regular basis. Maybe I can't do big paintings or collages like I used to do and I probably won't be able to until my kids are a little older, but I can still draw. That doesn't take any setup or cleanup, just a sketchbook and a pen, and maybe some markers or oil crayons. It's easy, which is good for my chaotic life. I started my challenge last week and so far I've sketched every night. They're not good art by any means. But I don't care, if feels good to finally be doing some artwork again on a regular basis, albeit small. So try it - get a sketchbook and a pen, that's all you need. 

My new multi-media sketchbook - thanks Mom! These are relatively new, 
and good for all different types of media - pens, paints, and pencils.
 The blank sketchbook page, with endless possibilities, saying 
"Hey, draw on me!! No setup required!!"
 Some of my latest sketchbook pages, from my older sketchbook.


 As much as I can I'll try to get Bean involved. 
This was her last sketchbook page, she called it "Faces."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...