Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

NYC

I traveled to NYC for work today, for a marathon of meetings for the next 3 days. I traveled by plane, which is so much less fun than by train and so much more annoying. I couldn't sleep last night, so I was tired and groggy when we landed. And then I waited in a 45 minute cab line to get a cab, to sit in 45 minutes of traffic into the city. But NYC always fires me up. When we got close to the city I could feel the energy and my grogginess went away. There's something so powerful about NYC, it's like you can feel the business happening, the money being made, the lives being made and ruined. The city has such an impressive skyline, it's massive and sprawling, and gorgeous even in its own smog. On the way in to the city from the airports, you always pass the old World's Fair site in Astoria. It was shuttered a long time ago, after hosting two World's Fairs in 1939 and 1964. But the site still stands and it is so cool and creepy at the same time. Some day I want to sneak in with my camera and look around and take pictures. I couldn't get the old globe from the road, but I would definitely photograph that, it's so symbolic of those old World's Fairs. I wish they'd bring them back, or I could go back in time to be able to marvel at the newest inventions and engineering achievements. NYC has that feel to it - it is a marvel of human accomplishments, both scary and beautiful at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...