Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

24 Hours in Portland Maine

We just got back from a weekend trip to Portland, Maine, and I have to say this is now one of my very favorite small cities in the US. My husband and I have decided that our new daydream is to buy a small house somewhere in or around Portland as a vacation home if we can ever afford it. I could see spending weeks there with our kids. I don't know what I like best about it. It could be how laid back and nice everyone is. Or how kid and adult friendly it is - there's lots to do for all ages. Or how the food is GREAT everywhere. Even in pubs you can find healthy, vegetarian options. It's a healthy town. Or it could be how pretty it is, in its setting on the ocean with narrow brick streets and English village architecture. We will be visiting Portland often. It was fun even in 30 degree weather. I can't wait to go back when it's warm out! 

First stop, the Great Lost Bear restaurant for burgers and beers. 
Next stop, the Narrow Gauge Railroad museum and train ride. I'm not sure who liked this better, us or Bean?







Next stop, Treehouse Toys for a half hour of searching for the PERFECT toy.

Then on to beers (and lemonade for Bean) at Gritty McDuff's. Love the food menu here, for a pub they probably have the healthiest kids menu I've ever seen.

We tried to get into Fore Street for dinner, but it was packed. We'll be making reservations next time, this place looked amazing.

So we ventured into the German beer hall Novare Res Bier Cafe. Absolutely love this place, great beers and awesome food. We split a cheese plate and sausages that were the best I've had outside of Germany. Bean put on a show dancing for the lit up customers here.
 Then back to the hotel for some monkeys jumping on the bed. Bean was so excited about this trip. She loved staying in the hotel, especially when we let her jump on the bed. 

 The next morning we went to Mornings in Paris for coffee and pastries. Mmm, great atmosphere, and yummy coffee and food. 




Next stop, the Portland Children's Museum, a fun and very interactive museum that we had to drag Bean out of after a couple of hours. 






And finally, to top off the weekend, lunch at Brian Boru Irish pub. Another pub with amazing food, I don't think I've ever had a kale and sweet potato wrap at a pub before!! 

I feel like we got a week's worth of vacation into this 24 hours in Portland. I can't wait to visit again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...